Can a General Dentist Perform a Tooth Extraction?
Is a tooth extraction something your regular dentist can manage? Explore the differences between simple and surgical extractions, the roles of general dentists
& oral surgeons, and when a “simple” extraction isn’t so straightforward. Learn more at Blissful Dental Spa in Tallahassee with Dr. Chinara Garraway.
Simple Extraction vs. Surgical Extraction
One of the first distinctions to understand is the difference between simple and surgical extractions.
A simple extraction
typically involves a tooth that is visible above the gumline. It’s a straightforward process where the dentist uses specialized instruments to grasp and remove the tooth.
A surgical extraction
, on the other hand, is more complex. It is required when a tooth is impacted, meaning it hasn’t fully erupted or is broken at the gumline. The procedure typically requires an incision, and sometimes, the tooth might be segmented into smaller parts for easier extraction.
General Dentist vs. an Oral Surgeon
General dentists are trained to perform simple extractions. They can remove teeth that are visible and don’t require significant surgical intervention. This includes most routine extractions.
, on the other hand, are specialists with advanced training in surgical procedures. They handle complex cases, such as impacted wisdom teeth, multiple extractions, or extractions involving delicate structures like nerves or sinus cavities.
When Simple Tooth Extractions Aren’t Simple
While general dentists are well-equipped to handle most extractions, there are situations where a simple extraction becomes more complicated. Factors that can complicate the procedure include:
- Tooth Position: A tooth’s location and angle of eruption can make it challenging to remove, even if it’s visible above the gumline.
- Root Anatomy: Unusually shaped or curved roots may require additional care during extraction.
- Fractured Teeth: Teeth that have broken off at the gumline may necessitate a surgical approach.
- Medical History: Specific health issues or medications might influence the extraction procedure, necessitating expert attention.
- Patient Comfort: For anxious patients or those with a low pain threshold, a general dentist may opt for more conservative treatment methods or refer to an oral surgeon for sedation options.
In conclusion, while dentist in Tallahassee
can perform many tooth extractions, it’s essential to consider the complexity of the case. Dr. Chinara Garraway at Blissful Dental Spa in Tallahassee provides comprehensive general dentistry services, including extractions. If you’re unsure about the type of extraction you need or have concerns about the procedure, consult with Dr. Garraway, who will determine the best approach for your dental health. Your comfort and well-being are the top priorities at Blissful Dental Spa.